The crayon costume is a great one for a large group of friends. Each person can be a different color costume.
How to make
Consider the availability of clothing and poster board in the same or near colors in deciding which color crayon costume to make.
- Wear slacks or tights and a shirt of the same or near color, if possible. (optional)
- Measure the amount of board needed to go comfortably around the wearer. For a small child, 1 board may be enough, but for older children and adults, 2 boards taped together will work better. (Hint: Decorate while still flat, before step 4.)
- Use black marker, paint or construction paper for the logo, the decorative rings at the top and bottom and the color label.
- Create a tube with poster board or painted cardboard to go around the wearer's torso. Tape, staple or glue the boards together and into a tube.
- Cut arm holes, slits for under your shoulders and over the shoulder straps to hold the tube up as preferred.
- Create a conical pointed hat with the same color board. Add a chin strap if necessary, but unless that's fitted well or comfortable elastic, it's likely to be uncomfortable. Bobby pins can help hold the hat on.
- Optional: Face paint in the matching color.
If the group makes their costumes (at least the tube part) together, it's more likely to be consistent and look like a group.
- Suite101 on Quick and Easy Halloween Costume Ideas for Kids