Halloweeño jalapeño popper mummies are a Halloween treat alternative originally conceived by Erica for The Hopeless Housewife. If you are taking them to a Halloween party, you may wish to make two batches, as they will likely disappear quickly.
It has a prep time of only minutes, a cook time of minutes, and makes 20 poppers per batch.
To make these mummy-shaped delicious October treats, you will need the following ingredients and supplies:
- Small bowl
- Pizza cutter
- Baking sheet
- Rubber gloves (optional, but recommended)
- 10 jalapeño peppers, sliced in half lengthwise and pith/ seeds removed (use rubber gloves so your hands don't burn from the jalapeño). Leave the stem if you can on some or all of the halves.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 8 ounces jack cheese, shredded
- 1 scallion (green onion), finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 package refrigerated crescent rolls (Pillsbury is suggested)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Candy eyeballs or cream cheese and black olives
- If using them, put on your rubber gloves - they will prevent burning yourself on the peppers. Take your ten jalapeños and slice each in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds and pith. Leave the stems when you can.
- Preheat oven 400°F.
- In a small bowl, mix together cream cheese, jack cheese, your scallion and salt to taste until well blended.
- Open your crescent rolls and roll out the dough. Separate your dough into a set of 4 rectangles. The perforation that normally defines the rolls into triangles should be in the middle of each rectangle. Use a finger to seal these perforations by squishing them down a little.
- Cut each rectangle into 10 long strips, sliced lengthwise.
- Fill each jalapeño half with your cheese mixture. Next, wrap each jalapeño half with your dough strips, using two pieces if necessary. Make sure to leave space for the eyes. Brush with egg mixture and place onto your baking sheet.
- Place in oven and bake for 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven when time has lapsed and take your candy eyes and press into the cheese where you left the opening.
- If you do not have candy eyes, you can instead use a small dollop of cream cheese and place a piece of black olive to represent the pupils.
- Serve immediately. If eyes are candy, remove before eating.