Lonesome Ghosts is a color Mickey Mouse cartoon that was released in theaters on December 24, 1937.
The short opens on a dark winter night, inside an old mansion. Turns out, the mansion is home to four ghosts who are bored out of their wits because they have no one around to scare, probably because they scared the people who used to be there away. Suddenly, one of the ghosts spots an ad in the newspaper for Ajax Ghost Exterminators and decide to invite them over so they can have some fun. They call the Ajax Ghost Exterminators, Mickey, Donald, and Goofy, and tell them to come to the old McShiver Mansion. The three ghost exterminators, happy to oblige, head on over. But after knocking and accidentally breaking down the door, they soon discover that there really are ghosts inside.
They decide to split up and surround them, but they all end up getting spooked in the process. It all culminates with Goofy getting trapped in a dresser while the four ghosts push him and the dresser down the stairs and into the basement where Mickey and Donald already are. Goofy ends up crashing into some crates that Mickey and Donald are hiding behind, covering them all in molasses and flour. The four ghosts come down into the basement, but soon get scared when they spot the three ghost exterminators covered in molasses and flour, mistaking them for ghosts, and run away.
- The short was featured as an entire level, much like The Mad Doctor was, in the video game Mickey Mania: The Timeless Adventures of Mickey Mouse.
- The Lonesome Ghosts make an appearance as NPCs and the short itself serves as a two-dimensional level in the video game Epic Mickey.
- This short is featured in the direct-to-DVD/direct-to-video film Mickey's House of Villains.
- The short features the first example of professional paranormal investigation and elimination and the first team to do such a thing. The term would later be known as ghostbusting, and the term for the team of investigators/eliminators/exterminators would later be known as ghostbusters.
- The short is part of a trio of shorts that fans have called the Disney Halloween Triple, which consists of this one, Pluto's Judgement Day, and Trick or Treat.
- The short was featured in a fragmented form in the Mouse Factory episode, Spooks and Magic. However, the group name that Mickey, Donald, and Goof are called is Ajax Exterminators, instead of Ajax Ghost Exterminators.